It is estimated that more than 200,000 enlisted members and officers leave the military each year. Quite a few of them aren’t even close to being prepared for that change, even if they go through a program designed to help with the transition. The choices regarding where to go to get help are often outdated, confusing, and useless.

The Veteran’s Employment Center is one available resource. This center connects existing military members who are leaving the Armed Forces with veterans as well as their own families. If you ask for their help, they’ll show you good career opportunities in both the public and private sectors. They will help veterans find out if they have a disability that is related to military service, making them eligible for vocational rehabilitation.

A veteran who has been discharged recently or a dependent member of the discharged veteran family can get free counseling to pursue a career or enhance their education. They can also give support to veterans that own small businesses. They offer a briefing that will help veterans to transition from the military to their new careers. The program is known as CareerScope. An online application will tell a veteran what jobs their skills and experience might qualify them for.

The government offers much more than one program. The Department Of Defense has some helpful resources as well. They have a website that gives veterans information who want to work as civil servants for the Department Of Defense.

The U.S. Equal Opportunity Commission can also help people during this sensitive period of adjustment. This Commission can answer any questions that a veteran may have regarding their rights as an injured veteran. They can help veterans in their career moves to their new workplaces. They can tell an injured veteran what laws exist that will protect them.

These and many more resources can be invaluable tools. The U.S. Office Of Personnel Management can also help. They provide veterans with useful information related to such things as what Veteran’s Preferences mean and who has the authority to help get a veteran a job with the Federal Government. The Ability One program comes from the private sector. It provides jobs for those who are disabled.